[smesh-users] Trouble with Smesh

Raluca Musaloiu-E. ralucam at cs.jhu.edu
Wed Jun 17 16:44:37 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Juan - k wrote:

> - About the RSA Keys stuff. Do I also have to copy the "fingerprint
> line"? Must I also create a file in
> "etc/dropbear/authorized_keys/db.pub" (I had to create a new folder,
> because inside "etc/dropbear/" were only two files
> dropbear_XYZ_host_key, where XYZ is RSA and DSS). The instructions in
> the Readme File says that both .priv and .pub files must be also placed
> in the /jfss folder... I noticed that the "autocopy.sh" file calls the
> "dropbear.priv", so I guess "db.priv" should be renamed to
> "dropbear.priv"... Am I right? Also, this is in one router only, and
> then I should copy and paste to each router this one unique key, or
> should I do the same on each router?

No, the fingerprint line is not part of the key, the key it's just the
entire line that starts with 'ssh-rsa ...'. Next, authorized_keys is not a
folder, but a text file in /etc/dropbear directory. As you are authorizing
only one key, the authorized_keys file is essentially the same file as
dropbear.pub.

Indeed, the db.priv must be renamed to dropbear.priv. I used db.priv name
just as an example. And it needs to be copied in /jffs because autocopy.sh
uses it from there.

For simplicity, you can set the same public/private key pair on all the
nodes. The other way is to generate individual public/private keys, in
which case you will need to append all public keys in the authorized_keys
file. So, if you have N nodes in the network, authorized_keys file will
contain N public keys, one on each line.

> - I tried doing both solutions "-a ip1 -a ip2" and "-d 225.5.5.5" but in the moment I  ./runSmesh, it prompts:
>
> : not found.conf: 2:

Can you check if the runSmesh and smesh.conf are in the /jffs directory?

> with "-d 255.5.5.5" it also prompts:
>
> : not found 69: /sbin/ifconfig
> : not found 70: /sbin/ifconfig
> : not found 117: /usr/sbin/iptables
> : not found 117: /usr/sbin/iptables
> : not found 117: /usr/sbin/iptables
> : not found 117: /usr/sbin/iptables
> : not found 117: /usr/sbin/iptables
> : not found 117: /usr/sbin/iptables
> : not found 117: /usr/sbin/iptables
> : not found 117: /usr/sbin/ip
> : not found 117: /usr/sbin/ip

The paths for those utilities can be set in smesh.conf file. You can use
'which' tool to find the path:

# which ifconfig
/sbin/ifconfig

# which iptables
/usr/sbin/iptables

If iptables and ip are missing, install them with 'ipkg install
<package_name>'.

> So I guess something is wrong. When I leave NEIGHBORS="" (NULL) back, after a quick file copy (bin scripts directory), a reboot and Smesh runs again without problems (but without neighbors :( )

So, you're not getting any errors when running runSmesh if NEIGHBORS is
set to NULL?

> I'm sorry if I'm bothering too much, I just got so much faith in Smesh I won't give up :D

No problem, we'll make it work :).

Best,
Raluca ME